A BFC welcomes bicyclists by providing safe accommodations for bicycling and encouraging people to bike for transportation and recreation. Making bicycling safe and convenient are keys to improving public health, reducing traffic congestion, improving air quality and improving quality of life.
Bicycling is more than a practical, cost-effective solution to many municipal challenges. It’s an opportunity to make your community a vibrant destination for residents and visitors — a place where people don’t just live and work, but thrive.
Davidson is designated as a Bronze-level community due to the City’s commitment to Complete Streets and their extensive sidewalk policies. Highlights of Davidson's application include:
- The Davidson Walks and Rolls Active Transportation Master Planlays out a strategy to continue improving conditions for bicycling and walking. The plan includes prioritized recommendations for improvements, as well as education and enforcement programs to support walking and bicycling.
- The Town has installed several ped/bike counters to monitor bicycling and walking activity and contribute to regional efforts to measure and track activity.
- Davidson participates in the statewide Watch for Me NC program to focus attention on road safety, with particular attention paid to bicycling and walking. The program involves educating the public about safety laws and performing regular enforcement to reinforce positive behaviors.
- Davidson's Complete Streets guidelines indicate a willingness on the part of the local government to plan for all modes of transportation. Requiring developers to comply with these guidelines is a great way of ensuring that new streets are designed and constructed for all users.
- Davidson views pedestrian transportation as an important component of the transportation network in the town as evidenced by thesesidewalk policies. By ensuring that all collector and arterial streets have sidewalks on both sides, Davidson has created a safe and accessible pedestrian network. Also, the sidewalk retrofit policy is an excellent step towards realizing a connected sidewalk network, which further encourages pedestrian transportation. In addition, wide sidewalks in urbanized areas create a safer and more attractive pedestrian environment and can have a positive impact on businesses in the area.
- Davidson uses many geometric design features such as curb extensions, smaller curb radii, and median crossing islands to improve pedestrian access and enhance the comfort and safety of the pedestrian environment.