Historic Preservation Commission
Note: Members of the Historic Preservation Commission also serve on the Design Review Board. Please see the Design Review Board webpage for additional information.
PurposeAs public stewards of the Davidson Historic District, the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) has several powers and responsibilities. These include recommending to the Board of Commissioners the designation, or the removal, of historic district overlay zoning; granting requests for proposed changes within the historic district that are congruous with state, federal, and local governments in pursuance of its responsibilities; and conducting meetings or hearings necessary to carry out these roles.
Meetings & Rules of Procedure
- The HPC meets the third Wednesday of each month, immediately following the 5:30 PM Design Review Board meeting. All meetings are open to the public.
- Davidson Town Hall Board Room
216 S. Main Street
Davidson, NC 28036
- Town Staff Liaison: Lindsay Laird, Planner (email@example.com)
The next regularly scheduled HPC meeting will be held on Wednesday, August 17, 2022, in the Board Room at Town Hall beginning at 5:30pm.
Upcoming COA Cases
- webpage the week prior to the meeting. Additional information will be posted with the HPC meeting agenda on the Board of Commissioner & Advisory Board Meeting
If you have questions or comments related to an upcoming case, please email Historic Preservation Commission liaison, Lindsay Laird, at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the scheduled meeting date.
- Certificate of Appropriateness (COA): required prior to beginning any project(s) in the local historic district. Reference Sections 22 of the Davidson Planning Ordinance for additional information. COA cases are either reviewed by staff (Minor Works) or by the Historic Preservation Commission (Major Works) against the adopted Davidson Historic District Design Guidelines. A complete list of minor and major projects may be found here: Minor vs. Major Works List.
- Historic Preservation Commission Witness Application: A Witness Application should be completed by those who wish to testify as a sworn witness at a COA hearing. Any testimony must be competent, relevant, and substantive to the issue before the Commission. Complete Witness Application(s) shall be emailed to HPC Staff Liaison, Lindsay Laird at email@example.com at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled hearing.
- Application, fee and all required materials, drawings and documentation for new major projects must be received at least four weeks prior to the meeting date of the HPC. An FYI review is encouraged for all larger projects.
- All required materials, drawings and documents for cases that are continued from previous meetings or presented to the HPC for verification of conditions must be received three weeks prior to the meeting date.
- Application, fee and all required materials, drawings and documentation for signs in the local historic district, minor renovations, consent items and informational review only items must be received three weeks prior to the meeting date.
Historic Preservation Commission FeesPlease contact Town staff to verify fees. The Town of Davidson Fee Schedule is located on the Finance and Budget webpage.
MembershipThe Historic Preservation Commission, as appointed by the Board of Commissioners, are residents who have had special training or experience in a design field, such as architecture, landscape architecture, horticulture, planning, historic preservation or a closely related field. Members of the Historic Preservation Commission also serve on the Design Review Board. Please contact Town Staff if you are interested in serving on the Historic Preservation Commission/Design Review Board (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Preservation ResourcesDavidson Historic District Guidelines
- Minor vs. Major Works List (Adopted 11/17/2021): Minor project may be approved by staff and do not require review by the full commission.