Davidson remains committed to controlling our own destiny as a distinct, sustainable, and sovereign small town. Our sense of community is rooted in citizens who respect each other; in racial and socioeconomic diversity; and in pedestrian and bicycle orientation; all in the presence of a small liberal arts college. Our history and character guide our future.
Davidson’s government exists to help citizens in maintaining the town’s unique qualities and to provide superior services to every resident. To this end, the town government of Davidson will operate according to the following core values:
- Citizens are the heart of Davidson, so town government will treat all people fairly, with courtesy and respect.
- Open communication is essential to an engaged citizenry, so town government will seek and provide accurate, timely information and promote public discussion of important issues.
- Davidson must be a safe place to live, work, and raise a family, so the town will work in partnership with the community to prevent crime and protect lives, property, and the public realm.
- Davidson’s historic mix of people in all income levels and ages is fundamental to our community, so town government will encourage opportunities, services, and infrastructure that allow people of all means to live and work here.
- Davidson’s traditional character is that of a small, historic college town, so land planning will reflect its historic patterns of village-centered growth including connection of neighborhoods, preservation of our historic resources, conservation of rural area, and provision of public spaces.
- Citizens entrust town government with the stewardship of public funds, so government will provide high quality services at a reasonable cost.
- Davidson’s economic health is essential to its remaining a sustainable community, so town government will judiciously encourage and guide the location of new business opportunities.
- Citizens need to move easily throughout the town and region, so government will provide a variety of options, such as sidewalks, bike paths, greenways, connected streets, and transit.
- Citizens must live in a healthy environment, so town government will protect watersheds, trees, air quality, and other elements of the town’s ecology.
- The physical, social, and intellectual well-being of Davidson citizens is fundamental to our community, so town government will provide and encourage enjoyable, safe, and affordable recreational and cultural lifelong learning opportunities.
- As home to Davidson College, the town will engage the college’s faculty, staff and students in constructive communication and collaboration.
- Davidson exists in proximity to and is interdependent with other jurisdictions, so we strive for local, regional, state and federal cooperation.